November 2 - The Real Herman Cain Scandal; Iraq and the U.S. in Decline; "Republic Lost: How Money Corrupts Congress and a Plan to Stop It"

Share this Share this

audio

Full Program

LISTEN TO FULL PROGRAM  

audio

Part 1

We begin with the Washington Bureau Chief for Alternet, Adele Stan, who has uncovered the real dark side of the Republican presidential front-runner Herman Cain, not his payoff to women who claimed he sexually harassed them, but Cain’s connection to the Koch brothers political machine that has employed his campaign manager Mark Block and illegally finances Cain"s campaign through Koch-funded tax-exempt front groups. Adele Stan

audio

Part 2

Then we discuss the U.S. withdrawal from Iraq with Senior Research Scholar at Yale University, Immannual Wallerstein, who considers the December 31st pullout of American troops a U.S. defeat comparable to the loss of the Vietnam war. With the likelihood that the remaining police advisors in the Green Zone will need a lot of protection by security guards who will not have immunity, and that Muqtada al Sadr will emerge as Iraq’s main power broker, Wallerstein argues we are witnessing the U.S. in a serious decline, a new reality that only fringes of the American left refuse to see. Immanuel Wallerstein

audio

Part 3

Then finally, with 6 U.S. Senators calling for a constitutional amendment to overturn Citizens United, we speak with Lawrence Lessig about his new book “Republic Lost: How Money Corrupts Congress – And a Plan to Stop It”.  He argues that corruption is the common enemy of the left and the right in America and that until the citizenry stands up and cleans house in Washington, our money-driven electoral and campaign system will continue to serve only the 1% at the expense of the remaining 99%. Lawrence Lessig
  Music: Madvillain - Rhinestone Cowboy (Four Tet remix); LCD Soundsystem - Time to get Away; Fionn Regan - Shadow of an Empire; Built to Spill - The Plan